This page is dedicated to remembering those who have been lost to blood cancers and have had impact on Andy's Chapter of Hope. We honor their fighting spirit by continuing to try and find a cure for the disease that has taken their lives. Please help us in our battle to find a cure for leukemia and all of the other blood cancers.

If you would like to submit the story of your loved one lost to leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma or myelodysplastic syndromes, please send an e-mail to Andy Hanson. Also include a picture if you would like it added to the site.

Megan Cooper
March 6, 1984 - January 29, 1993

Type of leukemia: Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia

Information about Megan:

Megan was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) or the “good” leukemia, as Megan called it, in 1989 at age 5. After almost 3 years of chemotherapy and remission, Megan relapsed on Mother’s Day 1992. Megan was very fortunate that both of her siblings were a perfect match for a bone marrow transplant. While the transplant successfully cured Megan’s leukemia, Megan spent most of the next six months in the hospital and died from complications of a head bleed 5 weeks before her 9th birthday.

Through studies it was discovered that children may have been given too much radiation, which weakens the blood vessels in the brain, to get them ready for transplant. Through the work of Andy’s Chapter of Hope, which is part of the Leukemia Research Foundation, donations are used to help find a cure for this terrible disease and improve the quality of life during and after treatment.

A poem dedicated to Megan:

    Fear and Sorrow may carry each day,
    For loved ones who live helplessly we cry.
    Each victim's grasp on life taken away,
    They stand, head held high, knowing they're soon to die.

    Scared, we don't know what to say,
    what to do, how to help.

    We held her hand.
    We were her friends.
    We showed her that we cared.

    We now stand, with that little angel watching over us,
    Hoping and praying for the day
    They find a cure to make Cancer go away.
    ~Kristin Kratochvil

Back to top

Eric Perrine
February 28, 1964 - April 23, 1999  

Type of leukemia: Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL)
Age of diagnosis: 32
Date of diagnosis: 10/18/1996

Information about Eric:

Michael “Eric” Perrine was born in Quincy, Illinois on February 28th in 1964. He was stricken with ALL on October 18, 1996 at the young age of 32. He died following a three-year battle, on April 23, 1999.

Eric is survived by his wife, Nicole, his parents Mike and Betty Perrine and his three siblings: Greg and family of Florida, Todd and family of Iowa and Michelle and family of Illinois.

Growing up in the mid-western town of Jacksonville, Illinois; Eric became an avid sports enthusiast. He enjoyed participating in track, football, golf and baseball. His favorite baseball team was the St. Louis Cardinals, which always led to a nice family rivalry. Although a sports fanatic, he enjoyed basketball the most. He was also somewhat musically inclined and played the trumpet during both his junior high and high school years. Much to his delight, this ability allowed him to play “TAPS” for his father, when Mike turned 40!

Academics came fairly easily to Eric, he not only graduated 3rd in his class at Jacksonville High School, but also graduated in the top 1% of his accounting class at the prestigious University of Illinois. As member of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, he held positions as President and Treasurer during his four year stint at the U of I.

After leaving Champaign, Eric worked for Price Waterhouse, before moving to Chicago to work for Hewitt Associates in 1989 and was named a partner in the mid 90s. Reflective of his work ethic and professional demeanor, Hewitt Associates makes a yearly donation to Andy’s Chapter of Hope.

Back to top

Sandy Salvatore

Type of lymphoma: non-Hodgkin's

Information about Sandy:

Sandy was born on September 5, 1968. She was a sweet baby and grew up to be a good kid with a positive attitude on life. She knew who she was and where she was going.

Sandy was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in January 1996. Even though she was terrified of needles, she went through intensive chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant with a fighting spirit. Sandy lost her fight 9 months later.

Sandy brought a lot of love, joy and laughter to her father and me. Our hope is that someday soon, there will be a cure for lymphoma and all other blood cancers.

Back to top


John Thomas
March 19, 1979 - March 24, 1999

Type of leukemia: Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL)

Information about John:

John was born March 19, 1979 in Pittsfield, MA and lost his battle with leukemia on March 24, 1999 at Duke University Medical Center, one week after receiving a cord blood transplant and eight months after being diagnosed with ALL. With the exception of his last eight months with us, he led an ordinary and, at times, extraordinary life. Over the years as his dad followed a corporate career, he lived in Alabama, Connecticut, western Illinois, Singapore, Hong Kong, and finally moved to Barrington in 1995 where he attended Barrington High School for his junior and senior years. After graduating in June 1997, he attended Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, chasing a life-time interest in aviation and desire to become a commercial pilot.

He was an average student with extracurricular interests ranging from tennis to white water rafting, downhill skiing, scuba diving, travel and aviation. As a child, he attended adventure camp near his grandparents’ home in Colorado where he hiked 14,000 foot peaks, fished and rafted on the Colorado and Green rivers in Colorado and Utah. He earned his open water scuba certification in Colorado and Utah, his advanced open water certification in the Philippines, and dived on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. While living in Asia, he also traveled with the family to Indonesia, Thailand and China where he walked the Great Wall near Beijing. He skied often in western Colorado on Christmas visits to his grandparents in Glenwood Springs, finally mastering the black diamond trails at Aspen Highlands on his last visit. For his high school graduation present, he made a tandem sky dive south of Chicago. In May 1998 he received his pilot’s license after completing his freshman year of college at Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach.

Early on the morning of July 17, 1998 John woke up with pains in his legs, went to the emergency room at Good Shepherd Hospital and later that same morning was diagnosed with leukemia. With help from wonderful doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Good Shepherd and the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at Duke, he fought a tough battle. In the end the disease won. He lives on today in the hearts of his sister Elizabeth, parents Bob and Trish, and those whose lives he touched during his short time on earth.

Back to top